Dealing With Teeth Whitening Sensitivity

Bleaching your teeth can make them sensitive to many stimulants, including hot or cold food and drinks. Below are some of the tips you can use to deal with such hypersensitivity.

Treat Dental Ailments

Ideally, you should only bleach healthy teeth. This is because dental ailments or conditions increase the risk of teeth sensitivity. For example, if you have gum disease, some of the roots of your teeth might be exposed. You might end up with hypersensitivity if the exposed roots come into contact with the bleaching chemicals since the teeth roots don't have the protective enamel like the crown. Therefore, get a dental examination from the dentist and take care of any dental problems you might have, first.

Opt For In-Office Bleaching

You can either bleach your teeth at home or bleach your teeth at the dental office. Both options work, though some people are better suited to one, over the other. If you are worried about dental bleaching, then you should consider in-office bleaching over DIY bleaching.

The dentist has the skills, experience, and tools to help you avoid hypersensitivity, and most people don't have those things. For example, the dentist can use rubber dams to cover up your gums, which also prevents dental bleach from leaking into the roots of your teeth. 

Follow Instructions

If you opt to bleach at home, make sure you don't improvise any treatment process. Bleaching products come with instructions that you must follow accurately. For example, you shouldn't use highly concentrated bleaching products (above the recommended concentration), because they might damage your enamel and expose the sensitive dentin underneath. Your dentist can also provide further insight into precautions that may help.

Don't Bleach Too Frequently

A short time after bleaching, your teeth might not be as white as they were, immediately after the bleaching session. The effects of teeth whitening don't last forever; you may have to re-bleach, somewhere down the line. However, don't bleach your teeth too frequently, because the accumulated effect of the bleach might intensify the hypersensitivity. 

Take Care of Teeth after Bleaching

Your teeth will be a little more sensitive than normal, during the first hours and days after bleaching. That heightened sensitivity is normal and will disappear after some time. However, your actions during this period determine how fast the hypersensitivity fades or if it worsens. Avoid anything that might damage your teeth further, especially at this time when your enamel is vulnerable. For example, avoid acidic food, since acid might erode the teeth further.

Visit a website like, for more information.